If you are building a new home, you may be considering the different roofing materials and styles available. While many homeowners will opt for asphalt shingles, there are several reasons why cedar shake roofing materials may be right for your home.
- Curb Appeal. One of the most significant reasons a homeowner would choose cedar shake roofing is its curb appeal. Cedar shingles have a natural texture and warm color that is also durable and needs very little maintenance. Drive around an upscale neighborhood or search online to see the unique and beautiful aesthetic that cedar shakes offer.
- Insulating Qualities. Cedar shake roofing materials have the highest insulating qualities. They function as a protective barrier to keep cold from winds and heat from sunlight from entering your attic and living areas. The natural wood keeps your home cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter and will also save on energy costs.
- Insect Repellant. Homes with cedar shakes are at much lower risk for termite problems as cedar wood has chemical qualities that are less palatable to them.
- Cedar has been used for roofing materials for centuries and holds up extremely well to wind and moisture. It is a strong, durable roofing option. Shingles cut from cedar wood retain their shape and form with minimal maintenance for as much as 30 years or longer. Cedar shake roofing material can also be treated with a special finish to make it even more long-lasting.
- Variety and Color. Cedar shake roofing comes in a variety of shapes, including diagonal, square, diamond-shaped or rounded. Cedar shingles can be left unfinished, be treated with a finish that will change the color completely or be coated with a finish that will enhance the natural color of the wood.
Cedar shake roofing is a beautiful and timeless option for the roof of your home. If you think you may be interested in cedar shake roofing and would like more information, please give us a call at Blue Ridge Roofing today!