At Blue Ridge Roofing, we offer a range of different roofing options to make sure you get the ideal material for your needs. Whether you are interested in standard shingles, metal roofing, or cedar shakes, you can find it here. In this article, we’ll focus on cedar shakes in particular and go over their pros and cons to help you decide if they are right for your property.
Pros of Cedar Shake Roofing
- Durability – Cedar shake roofing is extremely durable and able to withstand strong winds, heavy rains, hail storms, blizzards, and other forms of severe weather.
- Longevity – Cedar shakes are also extremely long-lasting. They can last for ten or more years longer than standard shingles, making them a highly cost-effective choice.
- Energy-Efficiency – Compared to asphalt shingles, cedar shakes provide up to twice the insulating power. As a result, they will significantly reduce your heating and cooling costs, as well as provide significant energy savings.
- Sustainability – Cedar shake roofing is made of renewable natural resources and therefore is a highly eco-friendly choice when it comes to roofing materials.
Cons of Cedar Shake Roofing
- Up-Front Costs – One downside of cedar shake roofing is the high material and installation costs that come with it. Compared to asphalt shingles, cedar shake roofs cost more to install, which means that they are not suited to every homeowner’s budget.
- Maintenance – Another drawback of cedar shake roofing is that it does require more maintenance in order to keep it in good condition, as you’ll need to keep it free of moss, mold, and mildew. Fortunately, our team has the right tools and experience to help you with all the maintenance needs associated with this roofing material.